How I spent my Saturday

That’s right – in the hospital. It all started at 3:30 am when I woke up in pain – I couldn’t get back to sleep and I felt nauseas – I waited til 7:15 or so to wake Aaron up, by then I was in tears – I did not feel good. We waited it out trying to get me to sleep, get me comfortable but nothing was working. My lower back and upper thigh/buttock were just killing me – I couldn’t walk, sit or stand without pain. Then I threw up. Glamorous, I know. I couldn’t keep anything down and after that I wasn’t even trying. At about 4 we called my doctor to see what his take on everything was, he suggested we go to the hospital to get checked out – thought maybe I had a horrible case of the flu and/or a UT infection from the pain I was having.
Turns out you have to have some fluids in your body in order to give a urine sample, I had none and the trouble my nurses and lab techs went through in order to get an IV in me to give me fluids was heroic to say the least. I had 4 different nurses try to either get an IV started or take my blood. The poked me a total of 11 times. But it finally worked! And I was able to pee (I told you this was glamorous) which resulted in nothing out of the ordinary – no UT infection just severely dehydrated. So we don’t really know what all that pain was – they think it was my body reacting to the nasty flu bug I caught – just being tense and out of sorts.
They gave me 1 1/2 liters of fluids and near the end of my stay I finally got some Tylenol which helped my raging headache and calmed the rest of my body down. They discharged me at 8:45/9ish with the instructions to “wait it out” because I’m pregnant – there wasn’t much else they could do for me, antibiotic wise. But I can take Tylenol so we stopped at Walgreen’s on the way home and stocked up.
Good news is this didn’t/hasn’t affected the baby at all. They monitored his heartbeat the entire time we were in the hospital and he was just a happy little guy in there – my fever spiked to 101.3 and he was moving and grooving as usual. They were very happy about that.
I ended up in the ER when I was pregnant with Jessica at 38 weeks – exactly one week before she was born. This little guy and I were in the hospital with the flu at 28 weeks – I hope we still have at least 10 or 12 before he makes his entrance. They did check me and everything baby-oriented is tight as a whistle, there were no signs of labor, no signs to be alarmed. Whatever was/is going on with my body is only happening to me, not affecting the pregnancy at all.
Thats how I spent my Saturday. Thrilling. Aaron and I were supposed to go on this awesome date to GR – a client of his was throwing a launching party for the ages and it promised to be a night to remember. The poor guy missed it all. After I rid myself of this bug and no one else in my house becomes infected we’ll have to do something about the date we missed out on.
Last night was fitful, I didn’t really sleep well until about 5 this morning but the back pain is almost all gone, which is a godsend. I have been able to keep foods and fluids down thus far so here’s to hoping we’re on the upswing.

7 thoughts on “How I spent my Saturday

  1. Oh no! I’m so sorry to hear that you’re not feeling well. I wonder if we have the same thing, maybe we shared a bug at your house on Friday? I was throwing up on Friday night and called Dr. Siegers in tears ’cause I couldn’t stop! Mine started with really bad heartburn/indigestion, though, and only mild cramping, so maybe it’s different. Either way, I thinking of you and I hope you start feeling better soon! Let me know if there’s anything I can give you a hand with!!

  2. hey there – I bet we are sharing a bug. What did Dr Siegers say to you? After we found out there was nothing wrong with my bladder or kidneys he said if he had known that when we were talking to him on the phone he would have had me stay home and ride it out but I’m super glad we went in so I could atleast get some fluids – I was so so dehydrated. Aaron has been so great – helping with meals and cleaning, he’s awesome. Hopefully after another good nights rest I can function tomorrow without him and keep Jessica from getting sick all at the same time … here’s to hoping at least, right?

  3. When I called him he said he would be a lot more worried if I was a month farther along, because since I’m only in my second trimester he “highly doubted” it was kidney failure. The other thing he had thought for me, based on the terrible heartburn/indigestion that jump started the throwing up and the lack of fever, was that it could be gallbladder issues, or gall stones. He told me to take some Maalox to see if that stopped the throwing up, which it did, and to call back on Saturday if it didn’t stop, which I obviously had no need to do. He did tell me to call the office on Monday and make an appointment either way, since he hasn’t seen me for 2 1/2 weeks and won’t see me until the 28th otherwise. I’m glad you’re rehydrated!! Do you have any of the heartburn/indigestion I’m having?

  4. No, no heartburn or indigestion, thankfully. My next doctors apt is tomorrow but he told me to reschedule for later in the week – so I’m going to do that, too.
    Feeling better as the day goes on – hooray!
    And thanks Lisa! Hopefully no one else over here gets this bug and we can be social again – I know Aaron has some cabin fever! 🙂

  5. oh Jodi- so sorry you spent all day in the hospital! i’m glad you’re doing a bit better, hopefully you continue to do better. i know several people have said so, but let me know if you need something!
    we hibernated this weekend, but hopefully i’ll see you next weekend–i miss not seeing friends!

  6. Jodi~
    So sad for you and the way you spent your weekend! I’m so glad you are on the way to recovery, and that the baby is okay! I got my car back so when you decide you want to go on your date I’ll babysit!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *